Infrastructure projects can offer many benefits for people with disabilities, but also come with the risk of harm. In order to prevent harm, BIC advocates for the AIIB to ensure that projects:
- Use universal design in construction;
- Disclose information in an accessible form and manner;
- Conduct an audit of the accessibility and safety of project construction sites;
- Consult affected people with disabilities in an accessible and inclusive way; and
- Incorporate an accessible system for grievance redress .
These issues are described in detail in the first case study on the disability risks and impacts of an AIIB-funded project, produced by Access Foundation Bangladesh. We are also examining the impact of resettlement on people with disabilities as part of our work on the Metro Manila Flood Management Project.